I love Mexican food, I always have. Almost every time I go out to eat it's to a Mexican restaurant. I went out to eat a few months ago and had these amazing Molten Mexican Chocolate Brownies that were soft and molten on the inside and and had a crunchy crust, all with a hint of spice that you taste a minute after you've eaten a bite. That's one of my favorite kinds of foods, the sneaky spicy ones. These are like those, sneaky spicy. Of course they don't have to be, but they're delicious so I would keep the sneaky spice.
Today is reveal day for my group in the Secret Recipe Club. If you would like to find out more, then click here. The idea is that all of the members are assigned a blog (secretly of course!) and each member can peruse their assigned blog to find something that they would like to make, or several things to make in the future. The assigned blogs are kept completely secret until the reveal day and time, then you get to see who had your blog, and you get to post about what you made from your assigned blog. It's a lot of fun, and a great way to discover new blogs and recipes.
This month I was assigned to Claire K Creations. Claire is from Australia and has a love for food that she enjoys sharing with everyone, and her readers love to see her latest recipes. I had a difficult time choosing what to make this month because there are so many delicious looking recipes. It was interesting to read through all of the recipes because she uses grams and I use pounds and ounces so a little conversion was necessary but that just made it more fun. I almost made The Best Ever Chocolate Mud Cake but instead decided on the Mexican Chocolate Cinnamon Brownies. Maybe another day I will make the mud cake.
I cut the original recipe in half, it was supposed to be made in a loaf pan, but I made it in three ramekins instead. Now I can eat the whole recipe and not feel quite as bad! They really are that good. I made them with some walnuts that I ground up in a processor (you can see the bits of walnut in the above picture). This recipe really is a keeper. Maybe next time I will make the whole recipe and be able to share it!
Mexican Chocolate Cinnamon Brownies
Makes 3 servings
- 3 ½ tablespoons butter (or 45g coconut oil)
- 2 ⅛ ounces dark chocolate
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or one small chili split down the middle and de-seeded*)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts)
- Icing sugar and cinnamon to dust the tops
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease the insides of three (6 ounce) ramekins or three muffin tin cups.
2. In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter and chocolate at 20 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth. Stir in the cayenne pepper and egg until smooth.
3. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, all-purpose flour, and ground nuts until blended.
4. Pour into the prepared ramekins and smooth the top. Bake for 24-26 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm.
*If using a fresh chili, omit cayenne pepper and stir the chili into the chocolate and butter before you microwave it. After the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth, then remove the pepper and discard.
Recipe adapted from Claire K Creations
Don't forget to follow me on Blog Lovin' or using one of the buttons at the top of the page so you don't miss a recipe!
Scroll to the bottom to see the other Secret Recipe Club Link-ups!
Some other recipes I've made from other blogs for my Secret Recipe Club assignments: