Picture courtesy of BHG.
Today's idea for meatless Mondays is a Cauliflower-Carrot Casserole that is made with onions, garlic, horseradish, and delicious crunchy breadcrumbs on top. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and my husband and I really enjoyed it. It has a slight horseradish flavor to it that isn't overwhelming and it pairs nicely with a salad. When we had this for dinner we paired it with a Cranberry-Pecan Salad and the Caramelized Onion and Portobello Mushroom Soup. We did have the Onion and Portobello Soup
and the Cranberry Pecan salad for our belated Thanksgiving dinner along with some pretty great dinner rolls (recipes coming soon). We had cranberry pecan dinner rolls and some basic dinner rolls which both were fluffy and easy to eat to many. This recipe might be interesting with some broccoli or a mix of yellow and red onions added in.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Fill a bowl with ice cubes and water. Cook carrots in boiling salted water for 6 minutes. Add cauliflower; cook 5 minutes. Drain; pour into ice bath. Drain again.
2. Mist a 9-by-13-inch dish with cooking spray. Mix onion, garlic, horseradish, mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetables. Put into baking dish.
3. Stir butter into crumbs; sprinkle over vegetables. Cover; bake for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens