Penzey's website but it is no longer posted there.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 12 Tb. (¾ cup) cocoa, natural or Dutch process
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 eggs (each egg makes the brownies richer but also higher in fat)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar to sift on top of brownies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9x13 inch glass pan.
- Melt butter in a small pan over low heat, then sift in cocoa and whisk until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl; let cool.
- Add sugar and vanilla; mix well.
- Lightly whisk the eggs, then add to batter and stir to blend.
- Add flour; stir until combined. Brownies should be stirred by hand until just blended.
- Add nuts if desired; spoon into baking dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until the middle springs back when lightly pressed and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool, and then sift powdered sugar over the top if desired. Cut into small squares and store in a covered container.