Strawberry season is just starting and so there are a lot of recipes popping up that use fresh strawberries. Most of these recipes are perfect for bringing out the sweet and juicy flavors in the berries. Also, in a lot of places u-pick farms are starting to open so you can get the freshest berries. In the summer I love visiting farmers markets to see all of the fresh produce and crafts available.
Where we used to live there were two year-round farmers markets and it was so much fun to go visit and see what we could find. One of them was outdoors and one of them was part indoors and part under shelters which was as good as inside most of the time. Where we live now I only know of one farmers market but it's not year round I don't think. I'm sure there are more, I will just have to look around.
These scones are a little more like a dense cake then a traditional scone, but I wasn't sure what to call them and scones seemed to fit the best. I added regular chocolate chips and they complemented the strawberries really well. You could also use mini chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips. Using sanding sugar on the top would be a nice addition too, I'm all out for now or I would have. I love the sparkle of the sugar on the top. You just can't get the same look with regular granulated sugar.
This recipe is written to serve four but you could easily cut them into six or eight. It makes about an 8-9" circle. I had intentions of serving these with butter but I ate them warm with nothing added to them and they were delicious.
Strawberry & Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 1 whole egg
- 3 ounces milk
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (or mini chocolate chips)
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with nonstick foil, a Silpat, or parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, two forks, or your fingers, until the mixture is the size of small peas.
3. Stir in the egg and milk until blended, but do not overmix. Stir in the strawberry pieces and chocolate chips until combined.
4. Turn out the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet and form into a circle about 1/2” thick. Score the dough into four pieces. Brush the dough with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the pan several minutes, then remove to a cooling rack or serve warm cut into four pieces.
This recipe may be linked up to:
· Inside BruCrew Life - Time to Sparkle Tuesday's
· Pint Sized Baker - Marvelous Mondays
· The Mandatory Mooch - Tasty Thursdays
· Back For Seconds - Back For Seconds Social Link Party
· Real Housemoms - Fabulous Fridays!
· Lemons For Lulu - Saturday Share with Us Link Party
· Kitchen Meets Girl - What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday
· DJ's Sugar Shack - Whatcha Whipped Up?
· Mom's Test Kitchen - Wonderful Food Wednesday's
· The Real Housewives of Riverton - Riverton Housewives Round Up
· Mandy's Recipe Box - Totally Tasty Tuesday's
· A Pinch of Joy - Busy Monday Link Party
· House of Hepworth's - Hookin up with HoH
· Couponing & Cooking - Mealtime Monday
· What's Cooking, Love? - Showcase Your Talent Thursday
· Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo - Anything Goes Linky
· Chef in training - Tuesday Talent Show
· Dwell on Joy - Dwell on Friday
· Six Sister's Stuff - Strut Your Stuff Saturday
· A Slice of Southern - Southern Sundays
Don't forget to follow me on Blog Lovin' or using one of the buttons at the top of the page so you don't miss a recipe!