I hope everyone had a great weekend. I spent it with my sister and some friends and we had a lot of fun roaming around Washington, D.C. or few days :). I was a terrible planner and so didn't set up any posts for the last few days but now I'm back and have salad! Sometimes I make something like fish tacos and have a bunch of red cabbage left over and don't feel like coleslaw. I mean it's good and everything but you can only have so much before you're done with it. That's at least how I am. So, this recipe is similar to a waldorf salad but has red cabbage in it, which give it a lovely flavor and more crunch. I also used a bunch of the cabbage for homemade egg rolls but maybe we will talk about that another day :).
Crunch in a salad makes it seem like it's fresher. This salad is supposed to be served on endive but I just bought romaine so we could make actual salad with the rest of it and made these into little cranberry crunch lettuce wraps. By little I mean giant as you can see they take up half the plate but they were so good! I served them with a portobello mushroom burger and some garlic and olive oil asparagus. The recipe is simple and quick which is great for a weeknight meal :) Happy cooking!
Cranberry Crunch Salad
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped pecans
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 green apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 8 large leaves endive (I used 4 romaine leaves)
1. Heat a small cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Toast pecans and celery seed, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, honey, juice and vinegar in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. 3. Add pecans, celery seed, cabbage, apple and cranberries; toss well to coat. Place 2 tablespoons salad on each endive leaf (or 4 tablespoons on each romaine leaf).
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
This recipe may be linked up to:
· Inside BruCrew Life - Trick or Treat Tuesday's
· Crazy For Crust - Crazy Sweet Tuesday’s
· Mrs. Fox's Sweets - Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party
· A Pinch of Joy - Busy Monday Link Party
· House of Hepworth's - Hookin up with HoH
· Cups by Kim - Sweet & Simple Sunday
· Couponing & Cooking - Mealtime Monday
· Grateful Belly - What's New Wednesday· What's Cooking, Love? - Showcase Your Talent Thursday