Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Gingerbread Toffee covered with Dark Chocolate
Gingerbread Toffee covered in Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
1. Line a pan (about 5"x7") with foil, I used non-stick for good measure.
2. In a non-stick saucepan melt butter; add sugar, water, corn syrup, molasses, and spices.
3. Over medium-high heat cook and stir until mixture boils.
4. Reduce heat to medium, boil, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer measure 290F. Keep an eye on it when the temperature reaches 280 to be sue the mixture doesn't burn. Remove from heat.
Remove the thermometer from the pan. Pour the candy into the prepared pan, and tilt pan to make mixture even or spread.
5. After about two minutes, sprinkle with chopped chocolate, let stand a minute or two. Once soft, spread over the toffee. Chill for about 20 minutes until firm. Once firm, break into pieces. Serve.
6. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.